Agricultural Labor

The Virginia Employment Commission’s Agricultural Labor Program is organized under the VEC’s Workforce Services Division and also includes the Foreign Labor Certification Program.

The VEC provides three major ways for Ag Employers to recruit workers.

  1. As with any business in the Commonwealth, the VEC can place a local job order in our  Virginia Workforce Connection system to recruit applicants in the surrounding area. This VAWC is designed to be self service, however our Farm Placement Specialists can assist you in entering your job order and will help you utilize the recruitment features of the system.
  2. Our Agriculture and Foreign Labor Specialist staff are available to come to your business and discuss the options that are available to you.  Using the link below will let you see which staff member covers your county. 
  3. If after using the first two options there is still a labor shortage, you can use the H-2A temporary agricultural program. The H-2A program allows Ag Employers to bring nonimmigrant foreign workers into the country to perform agricultural labor on a seasonal basis. The Employer must prove that “there are not sufficient able, willing, and qualified U.S. workers available to perform the temporary and seasonal agricultural employment for which nonimmigrant foreign workers are being requested; and that employment of H-2A workers will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers”.

Our Farm Placement Staff are available to come to your business and discuss these options that are available to you. Using the link below will let you see which Farm Placement Specialist covers your county.

Map of Workforce Center Areas for Agricultural Services

VEC Plan for Agricultural Services