Employee or Independent Contractor?

Sometimes an employer will classify workers as contractors instead of employees. In these cases, contract workers are responsible for paying their own payroll taxes, including federal and state income taxes and both the employer and employee portion of Social Security taxes. In most cases, contractors are responsible for providing their own Workers Compensation Insurance and are not eligible for Unemployment Insurance if their services are no longer needed.

Learn more about how to classify workers

Trade Act / TAA

On-the-Job Training (OJT) opportunities are available to eligible businesses and job seekers through the Trade Act program. This resource provides a reimbursement to employers that hire and train a Trade Act-certified worker.

On-the-Job Training (OJT)

Hire a Veteran

The Commonwealth of Virginia and the Virginia Employment Commission are committed to assisting transitioning military, National Guard, Reserve Component Members and veterans to be productive in the civilian workforce. We also post Job Fairs, events and news directed to employers to assist them in finding a veteran that can fill their needs.

Hire a Veteran

Success Stories

Did you recently hire a veteran? We would love to hear your success story!
Please share it with us

Tax Credit

Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) is a federal tax credit available to all private sector businesses. It was designed as an incentive to employers to hire individuals in certain targeted groups who consistently experience high rates of unemployment due to a variety of employment barriers.

Detailed information about the WOTC program

Agri Foreign Labor

Agriculture and Foreign Labor Certification assists agricultural employers through the National Agricultural Recruitment System and registers farm labor contractors (crew leaders) and their employees, as required by the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act.

Agriculture and Foreign Labor Certification

State Monitor Advocate

Any complaints relating to the provision of services to job seekers or employers should be sent to the State Monitor Advocate, Michelle Castellow Abraham, at the Virginia Employment Commission’s Central Office, 6606 West Broad Street, 5th floor, Richmond, VA 23230, or by calling (804) 786-6094.

State Monitor Advocate

Unemployment Information

The Virginia Employment Commission provides employers with information, research tools, and reports that relate to unemployment insurance.

More Information

Labor Market Information

Our Labor Market Information can help you find answers to common questions, such as:

  • How much do occupations pay in an area?
  • What are the fastest and slowest growing jobs in an area?
  • What is the unemployment rate in an area?
  • What training institutions are in an area?
  • Community Profiles for up to date demographic, economic, and educational data.

Give our Labor Market
Information a try today!



W.A.R.N. and Rapid Response Services

All Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) letters and request for Rapid Response assistance should be directed to Brett Tavel, Rapid Response State Coordinator, by FAX at (804) 819-1699 or by e-mail at btavel@vccs.edu.