The VEC online Customer Self Service claims application is available to file your weekly claim and other inquiry information. You can file your Initial claim using the IVR by calling 1-866-832-2363 or file a weekly claim by calling 1-800-897-5630.
You can also view this video in:
The Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) administers the unemployment compensation program that provides temporary financial assistance to individuals who become unemployed through no fault of their own. Benefits are paid through taxes on employers covered under the Virginia Unemployment Compensation Act. No part of the cost of your unemployment benefits is deducted from your earnings.
Basic Steps to Qualify for State Unemployment Benefits
(click to learn more)
- Claimants must file for unemployment benefits with the call center
- Claimants must meet the monetary qualification requirement
- Claimants must meet the separation qualification requirement
- Claimants must meet the weekly eligibility requirement
Filing Your Initial Claim
You can file either online or by telephone for your initial claim (to file online, please select below to get started)
To file by using the telephone, please call 1-866-832-2363. Call volume in our contact centers is exceedingly high. If you experience delays, please use the online portal to file your initial claim for UI benefits.
It is your responsibility to file your weekly continued claim on time, each week, while you are receiving benefits. Please understand, filing your weekly claim is different than the initial claim. You will use the online portal to file the weekly claim or call the interactive voice response number.
- File Your Weekly Continued Claim by Internet
- File Your Weekly Continued Claim by Telephone: 1-800-897-5630
Contact Information Changes
Text Telephone Relay/TTY Callers
For TTY Callers: Virginia Relay, Call 711
Virginia Relay enables people who are deaf, hard of hearing, deaf/blind, or speech disabled to communicate by TTY (text telephone).
Important Information Regarding Your Claim
- The UI Claims Process
- My UI Benefit Rights and Responsibilities
- My UI Claimant Handbook
- UI Frequently Asked Questions
- Instructions for Claiming Partial Benefits
- "I'm unemployed. Now What?"
- Out-of-State Claims
- Glossary of UI Terms
- VEC Regulations
- Virginia Unemployment Compensation Act
- FAQ's (Top Questions Regarding Unemployment Insurance)
Special Circumstance Information and Forms
These forms are to be used only after being directed to do so by a VEC representative.
- VEC B-14 - Physician's Certificate of Health/Request for Medical Information
To be used when your medical condition was a factor in your separation from your employer.
- VEC B-14A - Medical Professional Certificate of Health
To be used when your medical condition affects your weekly availability for work while receiving Unemployment Insurance benefits.
- Claim Cancellation Form
To be used to cancel your claim if only Virginia wages were included.
- Combined Wage Claim Cancellation Form
To be used to cancel your claim if wages from multiple states were included.