Registration and Login
- If you've never filed a benefits claim using the current UI Direct login process (after November 2021) your old UI account credentials won't work. Register using the "Sign Up" tab first.
- If you've never used the UI Direct system after November 2021, your previously assigned PIN won't work.
- Without a valid Virginia State-issued photo ID, you'll need to file for benefits by phone. Avoid using public Wi-Fi or different internet connections when logging into UI Direct, this will cause difficulty logging into the system.
- Use the most current version of your internet browser, preferably Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge.
- Before logging in, clear your browser history and cookies.
- First-time users need to choose the "Sign Up" tab to register.
- Create a secure username with letters and numbers but no special characters.
- Create a secure password (at least 8 characters long) with uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Choose your security questions and answers.
- After completing the registration, DO NOT log in immediately.
- Wait for at least 1 hour to ensure the system captures and updates your registration information.
- After 1 hour, log in to UI Direct with the "Sign In" option; logging in too soon may result in an "Invalid User Name and Password" error. (If you try to log in too many times when receiving that error, you will be locked out of the portal.)
- Enter your username, password, and respond to any security questions.
- If you enter incorrect information multiple times, you may experience a security lockout; wait 30 minutes before attempting to log in again.
Common Issues and Solutions
If you receive an error stating "Your digital identity cannot be verified," call 1-866-832-2363 for assistance. However, they can only help with limited log-in issues. Here's how you can move forward from this message:
- If you need to file an initial or additional claim or reopen your claim for benefits that is your number one priority. Call the Customer Contact Center at 1-866-832-2363 and follow the prompts to file an initial claim. Do not call for log in assistance until you have filed your claim.
- If you’ve had address, phone number and/or email address changes since your last claim filing, try accessing UI Direct the next business day; updated information may allow registration.
- If you still can't register for UI Direct, you will have to complete all transactions by telephone. File weekly claims by calling 1-800-897-5630 and follow the prompts to file a continued claim for benefits.
- Get claim status updates by calling 1-800-897-5630 and following the prompts for claim information.
- Confirm or update your payment method by calling 1-800-897-5630 and following the prompts for payment information.
If you receive an email notification to log into your UI Direct portal because you have a message but cannot access your portal, don't worry. All documents loaded to your portal are also mailed to your address on your claim.