Welcome to the Virginia Employment Commission Workforce Services Unemployment Insurance claim filing system. In order to file for Unemployment Insurance (UI) you must have been separated from your employer or have had your hours reduced.
You should not attempt to file a Virginia claim if:
- Your last employer was a federal civilian employer in a state other than Virginia (you must file your claim against the state in which you last worked). The only exception is if you worked as a federal civilian overseas.
- Your employment within the last 18 months was performed in a state or states other than Virginia.
View the "Out-of-State" telephone list
You will need the following information to file your claim:
- Your Social Security Number
- The accurate employer names, addresses, telephone numbers and dates of employment within the last 18 months.
- The name and local number of your local union hall, if you obtain work through a union.
- Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a US citizen.
- If you have any Non-Virginia employers you must have an accurate mailing address, phone number, and dates of employment for them.
- You will be asked to select a method of payment: VA Debit Card or Direct Deposit. If you select Direct Deposit, you will need to have your Routing Number (First 9 digits located at the bottom of your checks) and your Account Number (5-17 digits, its exact location and number of digits varies from bank to bank).
If you do not have this information available, please gather it before you begin to file your claim. This site is available seven days a week. The filing process takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. Please allow enough time to complete this process.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED!
Important Information Concerning Your Account for Online Unemployment Insurance (UI) Services
What is changing and how does that affect me?
You have established a claim for Unemployment Insurance benefits with the Virginia Employment Commission. If you filed on line, your account would have been established through vawc.virginia.gov
This notice is to advise you of a change in our online UI claim process. Your claim for unemployment insurance is still on file with the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) but you will have to take certain steps to continue and maintain online access to your claim.
- You should register through the new UI site. This online portal can be accessed by visiting https://web.getgov2go.com/
Question: Will I need to establish an account with Gov2Go in order to file my weekly claims on line?
Answer: Yes, You will need to have a Gov2Go account to file a regular UI weekly claim for benefits on line. You may also utilize the automated voice response system by dialing 1-800-897-5630 and follow the prompts. You will need your social security number and personal identification number (PIN).
Question: I already created a Gov2Go account when I filed for other programs such as PEUC, EB or PUA. Will I have to establish another Gov2Go account?
Answer: No, You will not need to establish a new Gov2Go account. Your log on credentials for Gov2Go will still be valid.
- Use your new Gov2Go account to file weekly unemployment insurance claims (UI) online as long as you remain unemployed or by calling 1-800-897-5630. You will no longer access your UI weekly claim through the Virginia Workforce Connection site. ** However, you should continue to utilize VAWC.virginia.gov to conduct an active search for employment.
- If you have questions about your claim you should call the VEC at 1-866-832-2363
The information you provide when filing your claim is kept confidential. This confidential Unemployment Compensation (UC) information may be requested and utilized for other governmental purposes, including, but not limited to, verification of eligibility for other governmental programs. The Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) will only contact you on matters that directly concern your unemployment insurance claim. You are entering a secure site.
Auxiliary Aids and Services
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
Virginia Relay Center (VRC)
The Virginia Relay Center (VRC) provides telecommunications relay services to the Commonwealth of Virginia. Text Telephone (TTY) or Telecommunications for the Deaf (TDD) users can access the VRC by calling 1-800-828-1120.
File your Initial or Weekly / Continued Claim
- To file a new claim by telephone, call toll free, Monday - Friday between 8:15am and 4:30pm and between 9am and 1pm on Saturday (closed state holidays) 1-866-832-2363
- To file a weekly claim by telephone, call toll free 1-800-897-5630