You should be viewing these instructions on this page only if you were recently received at least one of the following:
- A text message directing you to this page
- A voice message directing you to this page
- An email directing you to this page
*** If you did NOT receive any of these communications, PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE. ***
If you DID receive one of the communications above, you must proceed and comply with the following instructions.
The Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) is requiring you to verify your identity in order to 1) help establish that you were legitimately entitled to any unemployment benefits already paid to you and 2) help establish your entitlement to any future or claimed but not yet paid unemployment benefits. There are many reasons the VEC may need verification of your identity, and there is no cause for concern or alarm. The VEC has contracted with ID.me, a federally-certified digital identity provider, for them to perform a highly secure digital identity verification process for unemployment claimants.
You must follow these steps to verify your identity:
- Visit (URL for HLP)
- Click on the green “Verify with ID.me” button to begin verification.
- Follow the prompts to verify your identity.
- Allow for 5-7 business days for ID.me and the VEC to process your verification.
You must complete this verification process within 10 days of receiving your notification. Failure to complete this process may result in delay or denial of benefits and a potential finding that you have been overpaid benefits previously issued.
ID.me is a trusted, secure service used by many government agencies and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For more information about ID.me, please visit help.id.me and/or watch this instructional video. If you are having trouble navigating the ID.me process, view the PDF’s below for more helpful information:
- How to Set Up and Protect Your ID.me Account - Long Version | Short Version
- State Unemployment FAQ's
- How to Verify Your Identity on a Video Call