File an Initial or Weekly / Continued Claim
Welcome to the Virginia Employment Commission Workforce Services Unemployment Insurance claim filing web site. In order to file for Unemployment Insurance (UI) you must have been separated from your employer or have had your hours reduced.
You should not attempt to file a Virginia claim if:
- Your last employer was a federal civilian employer in a state other than Virginia (you must file your claim against the state in which you last worked). The only exception is if you worked as a federal civilian overseas.
- Your employment within the last 18 months was performed in a state other than Virginia and only in that one state. Please click here for the "Out of State" telephone list in order to file your claim.
- Your employment within the last 18 months was performed in a state or states other than Virginia. "Out of State" telephone list in order to file your claim.
You will need the following information to file your claim:
- Your Social Security Number
- The accurate employer names, addresses, telephone numbers and dates of employment within the last 18 months.
- The name and local number of your local union hall, if you obtain work through a union.
- Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a US citizen.
- If you have any Non-Virginia employers you must have an accurate mailing address, phone number, and dates of employment for them.
- You will be asked to select a method of payment: VA Debit Card or Direct Deposit. If you select Direct Deposit, you will need to have your Routing Number (First 9 digits located at the bottom of your checks) and your Account Number (5-17 digits, its exact location and number of digits varies from bank to bank).
If you do not have this information available, please gather it before you begin to file your claim. This site is available seven days a week. The filing process takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. Please allow enough time to complete this process.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED!
There are five sections to this application:
- Personal Information: This section includes things like your name and address and will help determine whether it is possible for you to file online.
- Employment Information: This section includes all of your employment information for the last 18 months, including the reason you are no longer employed by the company(s).
- Eligibility Information: This section includes information regarding your current availability for employment.
- Unemployment Instructions: This section details the information and instructions that keep your unemployment claim active. Please read this information.
- Preferred method of payment: This section will allow you to select your payment method. You must select either Debit card or Direct Deposit.
To file a new claim by telephone, call toll free 1-866-832-2363.
To file a weekly claim by telephone, call toll free 1-800-897-5630.
The information you provide when filing your claim is kept confidential. This confidential Unemployment Compensation (UC) information may be requested and utilized for other governmental purposes, including, but not limited to, verification of eligibility for other governmental programs. The Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) will only contact you on matters that directly concern your unemployment insurance claim. You are entering a secure site.
Auxiliary Aids and Services
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
Virginia Relay Center (VRC)
The Virginia Relay Center (VRC) provides telecommunications relay services to the Commonwealth of Virginia. Text Telephone (TTY) or Telecommunications for the Deaf (TDD) users can access the VRC by calling 1-800-828-1120.
SEARCH AND FIND IT
Anyone who has questions about Virginia Labor and Employment laws can submit them to:firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a response in 24 hours or less!