Free Online Filing Services: Business iFile/iReg and Web Upload and VEC 21/20:
VEC offers several ways to file your Unemployment Insurance Tax Reports and pay your Unemployment Insurance Taxes.
- iFile and iReg;
- Employer Quarterly Payroll and Tax Report VEC FC 21/20 paper form;
Business iFile and Web Upload are free online filing services, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In addition, you no longer complete and file the paper report/schedule. You can securely file and pay the Employer FC-20 Tax Report and the Employer FC-21 Payroll Report online. You also have the ability to schedule (or warehouse) payments for submission on a future date (up to the due date of the report).
- Business iFile gives your company the capability to key payroll reports online. Generally small employers are better served using Business iFile.
Business iFile Information
- Web Upload gives your company the ability to save all report and payment information into a single file to upload to the VEC. Similar types of systems may be referred to as "bulk filing" or "bulk uploading".
Web Upload Information
Review the information below to determine which system best fits your filing needs:
|VEC FC 21/20|
|File and Pay taxes online (Over 100 employees)||Print and mail your documentation to the VEC|
File quickly for only one company
File on behalf of one or multiple companies
|File for only one company|
Required fields are manually entered into the system
Modify your Web Upload layout to match your file and system layout
|Required fields are manually entered into the paper form VEC FC 21/20 and check is mailed to the VEC|
Type report and payment information for each period
Create or use an existing file to submit report and payment information together without having to re-enter each filing period
|Type report and payment information for each period|
Store information for more than one bank account. Either checking or savings* can be used. (*Confirm with your banking institution that your bank allows ACH Debit transactions from your savings account)
Designate one bank account for all payments in a file or designate a different bank account for each payment in a file. These must be checking accounts.
If you want to print and mail a copy of the VEC-FC-21/20, you can do so with a PDF below.
- VEC FC 21/20 Information
- Employer Quarterly Payroll and Tax Report Instructions VEC-FC-21/20 Instructions
- Employer Quarterly Payroll and Tax Report VEC FC 21/20 web enabled
- Employer Quarterly Payroll and Tax Report VEC-FC-21/20 Not web enabled
Register a business:
- Register a new business Online
- Update Your Business Profile
- Enter FC 21 Payroll reports online and FC20 Tax Reports
Download the VEC FC-27 (Report to Determine Liability for State Unemployment Tax) and instruction page. (Right click on link, go down to "Save Target As" and save it to your computer). There are several questions on the form regarding the qualifications of General Employers, Agricultural Employers, Domestic Employers, Nonprofit Employers, acquiring an existing business or if you are already subject to the Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA). Do not mail the form to the VEC until you meet one of the requirements noted in questions 7a through 10 on form FC-27. The VEC will assign an account number only if you meet one of the criteria and mark your response as "yes".
Mail your completed VEC FC-27 form
Virginia Employment Commission
Employer Accounts - Room 108
P.O. Box 1358
Richmond, VA 23218-1358
When your application is entered in our database we will send you a "new employer" packet with any tax reports that need to be filed along with additional information about our reporting requirements. Penalties on new accounts are assessed only if required reports are filed after the due date for the quarter in which your account was established. Future tax reports will be mailed to you on a quarterly basis. You should receive them at the end of the last month of each calendar quarter.
For account number established - Penalty due if not filed by
- January through March - April 30th
- April through June - July 31st
- July through September - October 31st
- October through December - January 31st
~NOTE: Due to the recession depleted trust fund, changes to tax rates, mandated by the Virginia Unemployment Compensation Act, have been made. More details on the changes (PDF)