*** Important update: The VEC is now able to offer an application for PEUC. Below, you will click the link that will take you to the Gov2Go site. There you will be able to access and submit the PEUC application.
The CARES Act includes a provision that provides for up to an additional 13 weeks of regular/traditional unemployment insurance benefits to those who have exhausted their eligibility. This provision will apply to claims with a benefit year ending date on or after July 6, 2019. However, the 1st payable week under PEUC is the week ending April 4, 2020.
Apply Online Now at Gov2Go - Click Here
or download the app:
To be eligible for a week of PEUC an individual must:
- Have exhausted all rights to regular compensation under the applicable state or Federal law with respect to the applicable benefit year;
- Have no rights to regular compensation with respect to a week under such law or any other state or Federal UC law;
- Certify that he or she is not receiving compensation with respect to such week under the UC law of Canada; and
- Be able to work, available to work, and actively seeking work. (flexibility will be considered for this requirement given the circumstances surrounding COVID-19)
The Virginia Employment Commission requests that you file your application for PEUC on line using the link above. You may also file your PEUC claim by dialing 1-866-832-2363 but please be aware there may be heavy call volumes and you may experience a longer wait time using this method.
There are some facts surrounding the PEUC program that you need to know.
- The weekly benefit amount of PEUC will be the same as what you received under the regular/traditional unemployment Insurance (UI) program.
- The first payable week under PEUC is the week beginning March 29, 2020 and ending April 4, 2020.
- The federal pandemic unemployment compensation (FPUC) program will automatically add an additional $600 to the weekly benefit amount under the PEUC claim.
- The last payable week of PEUC will be the week ending December 26, 2020.
- The last payable week of FPUC (the additional $600 supplement) will be the week ending July 25, 2020.
- The PEUC & FPUC benefits are taxable.
Please Note: You can complete the application for PEUC now.
Payment of your PEUC benefits cannot take place until your application is processed. The application allows the VEC to determine the amount of additional benefits you may be eligible to receive (up to 13 weeks) and to ensure there are no issues that would prevent payment. With this in mind we expect the first round of PEUC benefits to be released on July 7, 2020 to eligible claimants.