Veterans from all periods of military service are eligible for job referral, job training and job placement assistance through the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC). Veterans may access these employment services through a statewide network of VEC Local offices. We also work with those that are currently transitioning out of the military. If you would like to know more about Virginia's Veteran Program or our partnerships, please contact Charlie Palumbo, Veteran Outreach Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employment Initiatives for Veterans:
- Job readiness assessment, including interviews and testing;
- Development of an Individual Employment Plan;
- Career counseling that helps veterans in making training and career decisions;
- Labor market and occupational information, to include training;
- Referral to job banks, job portals, and job openings;
- Referral to employers and registered apprenticeship sponsors;
- Referral to training by WIA-funded or third party service providers; and
- Monthly follow-up by an assigned case manager for up to six months.
Find a Job
Register as a Job Seeker with the Virginia Workforce Connection (VWC) for access to all the services available and so you can find a job and Employers can FIND YOU! You will find Job Search, Career Information, Training Opportunities, Skill requirements, Labor Market Information including Wage data, Industry and Occupational trends.
- Go to the Virginia Workforce Connection then click on "Job Seeker".
- In the "Quick Menu" on the left, click on "Job Search"
- Veterans can search by military occupation by clicking the "Click Here" link next to the American flag, just below the Search button.
The Virginia Workforce Connection is a product of the Virginia Workforce Network. Please return to the VEC website for information not found on the VWC.
Priority of Service for Veterans and Eligible Spouses
Priority of service means, with respect to any qualified Department of Labor employment and job-training programs, that Veterans 1 and Eligible Spouses 2 shall be given priority over non-Veterans for the receipt of employment, training, and placement services, notwithstanding any other provision of the law. More information on elegibility is avaiblable at: Priority of Service for Veterans and Eligible Spouses
File an Unemployment Claim Online
- File a new claim for unemployment benefits
- Reopen an existing claim after a break has occurred in your weekly request for payments.
- File a partial Claim
- File your Continued / Weekly claim for benefits.
- Electronic Payment Method - Debit Card/Direct Deposit
- Download a 1099-G for 2011
- Virginia Department of Veterans Services - Here you can find a comprehensive list of resources by categories such as Employment, Healthcare, Veterans Benefits, Family and Legal Assistance.
- List of Military Friendly Employers - Employers that the VEC has found to be military friendly in their recruitment and hiring practices.
- Virginia Values Veterans (V3) - Virginia businesses and organizations are already conducting Vet Ready Assessments to help prepare them for the successful hiring and retention of Virginia’s veterans.
Training & Education
Planning your next career after the military may require additional education and training. The Education & Training section of the site offers information about the many opportunities available to Veterans, Service Members and their families, including job training, scholarships, tuition assistance programs, the GI Bill and many other programs specifically for Service Members and Veterans.
The Online Directory of Veterans Service Organizations is published as an informational service by the Office of the Secretary of Veterans Affairs. This up-to-date, database driven website allows you to view VSO information in a variety of ways. You may also search through the VSO database to find information that suits your needs.
Landtech Resources, Inc. - Hiring Event - April 20, 2015
Sykes Enterprises Job Fair - April 20, 2015
Hiring Event (Landscapers, warehouse workers) - April 20, 2015
Westminster Canterbury Job Fair - April 21, 2015